Crema catalana, English custard, crème brûlée and crema valenciana, among others. There are lots of custards for desert, and they’re all pretty similar, though each has its own twist – but they’re all delicious. Today we fancied a dessert with tiger nut Horchata and we thought of a Valencian custard with the new light tiger nut drink.
As well as being delicious, this custard has it all: it contains neither milk nor gluten, making it suitable for coeliacs, it’s light and it’s a traditional dessert from our region, Valencia. The principal ingredient is the new Costa light tiger nut drink. A delicious, refreshing drink that contains 90% less sugars and, most importantly, NO LACTOSE. That’s right, neither lactose nor gluten.
Let’s see what ingredients we need for this tasty custard:
- 500 ml Costa light tiger nut drink
- 55 g maize flour / rice flour
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- sugar for caramelising
- some raspberries and cranberries or blueberries for decoration
Step by step:
- Put the Costa light tiger nut drink in a small saucepan, keeping half a glass for dissolving the maize or rice flour in later.
- Put it on the heat and add the orange and lemon zest.
- Dissolve the maize or rice flour in the tiger nut drink you set aside before, and add it to the pan.
- Stir constantly over a medium heat until it thickens.
- When you have the texture you want, turn off the heat and divide into individual moulds. Cover with clear film and leave to cool in the fridge.
- A few minutes before serving, sprinkle a little sugar on top and burn it with a cook’s blowtorch or a suitable iron implement.
- Your Valencian custard is now ready! You can give it a final touch with some raspberries and cranberries or blueberries.