Round off your Christmas menu with the cherry on the cake, an almond and honey “turrón” mousse. Turrón is the typical dessert at this time of year in nearly every household. Chef Orielo’s has made his own version: a surprising, delicate, exquisite dessert to finish off the meal and kick-off the after-dinner conversation.
This mousse is accompanied by a chocolate syrup you can prepare yourself as it’s very quick and easy to make. Are you up for it?
• 300 g almond and honey “Turrón de Jijona”
• 3 eggs
• 200 ml lactose-free whipping cream
• 50 ml Costa Eco Organic Rice Drink
• 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
• 1 pinch of salt
• Sliced almonds
• Chocolate syrup
Paso a paso:
1. Separate the yolks from the eggs.
2. Beat the whites together with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks and set aside in the fridge.
3. In a pot, break the turrón up into powder with your hands.
4. Add 50 ml of lactose-free cream and 50 ml of organic rice drink to the pot and heat it until the turrón dissolves.
5. Off the heat, add one of the yolks and stir well. Let it cool.
6. Whip up the remaining cream with half a tablespoon of sugar until it’s firm.
7. Mix the turrón cream into this cream, mixing very gently with folding movements.
8. Add the beaten egg whites to the mixture, also mixing very gently.
9. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
10. Serve in dessert bowls using a piping bag and decorate with the chocolate syrup and the sliced almonds.
Homemade Chocolate Syrup
You can make a chocolate syrup to decorate your desserts and give them that sweet chocolaty touch that goes so well with the turrón mousse.
• 60 g sugar-free cocoa powder
• 110 g sugar
• A pinch of salt
• 120 ml Costa Eco Organic Rice Drink with Cocoa
• 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla essence
Step by step:
1. Put the cocoa powder, the salt and the sugar in a pan and mix them together.
2. Add the organic rice drink with cocoa and bring to the boil for about three minutes, whisking constantly.
3. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla essence, stirring for a few seconds more.
4. Pour the syrup into a cake decorating bottle or a closed jar and put it in the fridge.
5. Before serving, you can warm it for a few seconds in the microwave.