Simple, humble, tasty… onion soup is all these things. A traditional dish made from fresh produce which has its origins in France. The only secret is to caramelise the onions thoroughly, until they turn an attractive brown colour.
Although it is a quick, simple recipe, it can also be a delicious starter for your Christmas meal. Here you have the Orielo’s recipe for onion soup.
• 4 large onions
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1.5 L of Costa Eco Organic Chicken Stock
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 60 ml brandy
• Fresh thyme
• 3 bay leaves
• Half a French stick
• 150 g lactose-free grated cheese
• Extra virgin olive oil
Step by step:
1. Julienne the onions very finely and chop the garlic into small pieces.
2. Fry the garlic in a pan with sufficient oil, taking care not to burn it.
3. Add the onion with a little salt and a teaspoonful of sugar. Leave to poach slowly so that the onion fries and stir from time to time to stop it sticking.
4. The onion should practically disintegrate and darken in colour.
5. Add the brandy and let the alcohol evaporate (about 1 minute)
6. You can now add the Costa Eco Organic Chicken Stock. Stir and add a small bouquet garni made of the thyme and bay leaves. To make the bouquet garni, tie the ingredients into a bundle with string so that it’s easier to take them out later.
7. Cover the pan and let it simmer at medium heat for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the bread into slices and toast them.
8. Cut the toast into cubes to make croutons.
9. Serve the soup in bowls or individual clay pots; put some croutons in each bowl and over these a generous handful of grated cheese.
10. Brown at 250º for a few minutes until the cheese changes colour and… enjoy!