Chef Orielo’s never ceases to surprise us; this time he brings us a highly original recipe for oat crème caramel with hazelnuts and coconut. We’re used to the typical egg or vanilla crème caramel made with milk. But Orielo always thinks of those who can’t or won’t have milk, so all his recipes replace dairy ingredients with other lactose-free ones. In this case, the ingredient used is Costa Eco Organic Oat Drink.
The flavour or the oats goes perfectly with that of the hazelnuts. But if you prefer you can replace them with other nuts of your choice. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamias or whatever.
Here’s the recipe. Plus a link to a video in case you’d like to see all the steps one by one.
• 500 ml Costa Eco Organic Oat Drink
• 4 large eggs
• 80 g sugar / half a teaspoon of stevia
• 50 g raw hazelnuts
• 40 g grated coconut
For the liquid caramel:
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon water
Step by step:
1. First make the caramel. Put 3 tablespoons of sugar and one of water to heat in a frying pan. Leave it at medium heat without touching or stirring it.
2. When it starts to change colour, stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. When the caramel is amber in colour take it off the heat and cover the base of the crème caramel moulds with it.
4. For the crème caramel, grind the hazelnuts to powder.
5. Put the oat drink, the sugar and the grated coconut in the mixer bowl and beat them thoroughly for a few minutes.
6. Pour the mixture into crème caramel moulds and prepare them for cooking in a bain marie. Put the crème caramel in an oven dish and fill it with very hot water.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 160º, and cook the crème caramel in the bain marie for about 55 minutes.
8. When they’re ready, take them out of the oven and leave them to cool at room temperature for a while before putting them in the fridge to cool overnight. The longer they’re in the fridge the better they’ll be.
9. Serve with a little grated coconut on top.