To mark World Chocolate Day on 13th September, we offer you a quick, easy and delicious recipe to celebrate this special day. Though we don’t need any excuses… every day should be chocolate day!
The day was first celebrated on 7th July 2010 after the French chocolate and confectionery academy reached an agreement with the World Organization of Cocoa Producers to hold it on the same day as World Cocoa Day. But the countries that do not produce cocoa preferred to hold it on 13th September, the birthday of the creator of the legendary, unforgettable Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Custard is traditionally made with milk, but you can replace it with horchata or the plant-based drink of your choice. We chose our new Costa Rice Drink with Cocoa. Lactose-free, gluten-free and low-fat.
- 100 g coating chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- 500 ml Costa Organic Rice Drink with Cocoa
- 150 g sugar
Step by step:
- Put the rice drink with cocoa on to heat.
- In a bowl, beat up the yolks with the sugar until they turn white.
- When the rice drink starts to boil, remove it from the heat and add the mixture of egg and sugar. Beat well to mix it all together thoroughly.
- This is the time to add cinnamon or vanilla if you like.
- Put the pan back on a medium heat and stir until the mixture thickens. Stir constantly for about 6-7 minutes.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces and add them gradually to the cream, stirring constantly so that it doesn’t stick.
- Cook for about 10 more minutes, stirring constantly, and divide into individual serving containers.
- Leave for a while at room temperature, cover with clear film and put them in the fridge.
- The film has to touch the surface of the custard to stop a film forming.